The Pindarie Property
History & Buildings
The homestead block of the property was purchased from the crown in 1854 by Christen Schoff for a sum of £253. Later it was sold to Friedrich Ehregott Schwarz who was often quoted as saying “sheep have golden feet” developed the property significantly. During the 1890’s wool boom Friedrich built a large bluestone homestead.
In 1957 the property was purchased by Hector George Brooks (Tony’s Grandfather) who named it Pindarie, an Aboriginal word meaning “hilly place”. The Brooks family have a long tradition of land ownership & vineyards beginning with Joseph Brooks who came to South Australia from Worcestershire England on the ship “Eden” in 1838. Joseph purchased land at Hoyleton and planted 5000 vines, but a dry winter resulted in only two plants surviving… so the tradition of vineyards was put on hold for a few generations. His son George and grandson Edmund were more successful and built up an empire of properties in South Australia and Western Australia including Buckland Park and Clifton Hills. Tony Brooks is the sixth generation of Brooks in Australia, with the love of the land in his genes.
Housed in an old grain room, next to heritage stables, the cellar door has been restored from the ground up by Tony. The majority of materials used have been recycled, from salvage yards, clearing sales, locally and around South Australia. The slate for the veranda came from the 750-acre property and the original old tin sheeting from the roof has been used as the ceiling. Tony’s meticulous eye for detail and passion for stonework shine through.